Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Skiing at the 'Bird'

After a TEN year break, I finally got back into skiing this season!

Nick had bid on a ski weekend at Snowbird last summer through his charity auction.

Well, he won!

And we finally took advantage of the package the last weekend of January.

We arrived to The 'Bird' (as the locals call it) and were super excited.

We had a romantic dinner and took advantage of the spa on the roof. BEAUTIFUL!

Well around 2 in the morning, I came down with the damn stomache flu. (Sleeping on the bathroom floor by the toilet and all!)

Seriosly, a ten year wait and I get the flu?

I was determined to ski, flu or no flu.

That next morning I got up at 8, couldn't eat, but headed out on the mountain. I only made 6 runs. My body couldn't do any more.

Poor Nick skiied the rest of the day by his lonesome. AND ate dinner all by his lonesome. My dinner consisted of 1/4 of a Gatorade drink.

Fortunately we still had the next day. I woke up feeling like a champ and we put in 18 run in a half day!

This was the start to my new found love of skiing. AND WINTER!

I was able to go up to the mountains five more times before I got injured.

We skiied Powder Mountain in Weber County the first weekend of March.

I was going down a difficult ungroomed course and biffed it big time.

I knew I was done for the season but I continued for the rest of the day.

I went to the doctor the next day (because I couldn't walk) and found out I had sprained my ACL and MCL and almost dislocated my knee.

I was DEFINITELY done for the season! But I am looking forward to next!

Nick and I love spending time together, doing things athletic and outdoors! This is one of many hobbies we hope to continue together for the rest of our days!

Top of Snowbird!


Top of Snowbird in September. HUGE difference!



The "Muck" in the valley.







Nick snowboarding at Powder Mountain.



Our friends from Philly!

No comments: