Yesterday was one of the most trying days for me. I experienced something I never want to experience again.
It all started when Avery and I were leaving the house for our usual morning walk. I strapped Ave in her BOB stroller and headed out the front door. I had just gotten out of the door and turned my back for 1 second to lock the door behind me. I heard a horrible gut wrenching noise, the stroller was going full speed down our concrete stairs with Avery in it. It seemed to be going in slow motion. I couldn't move fast enough. Avery was screaming, I was screaming. I fell down the stairs trying to catch my baby girl. But I couldn't in time. She had reached the bottom and the stroller flipped over. Her head hit the concrete. I couldn't save her in time. I pulled that damn stroller over as fast as I could and only imagined the worst scenario. I was bawling and was scared to see what was under the BOB. Luckily, Avery was strapped in tight and we attached an infant carrier attachment to the front of the stroller, so it took the brunt of the hit. But Avery's poor fragile head still bumped the cement. She had a big purple welt forming on her head and was screaming in pure fright. I was frantically trying to reach Nick at work. I couldn't. I had to call his headquarters to transfer me to a different line in the office. His employee answered the phone. I told him to grab Nick. He said his office door was shut. I told him I didn't care. He said he was on an important conference call. I told him I didn't care. I was not nice. (I am sorry Casey, I was freaking out!) I talked to Nick. We weren't sure if I should go to the ER. I ran to the neighbors house, no one was home. I called my mom, sisters, everyone my finger could dial. No one was answering. I felt so alone. By this time Avery had calmed down and was playing with my hair and shirt. I decided to keep an eye on her. My mom finally called back and came right over. Ave's pupils were responding fine and she was acting normal. Thank God!! In hind sight, I maybe should have rushed to the hospital....but I was scared. I didn't want anyone to think I was a horrible mom who couldn't protect her child. Much worse things could have happened to Avery. If she would have fallen even one inch to her right, this could have been a much different story. We are so lucky. She must have a guardian angel watching ovber her!!
The rest of the day seems menial, but I will continue.
That night, Nick and I were supposed to go to the Dave Matthews Concert. This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE band. He cancelled that morning. This was the 2nd year in a row for a cancellation. Huge Bummer!!! It is supposed to be re-scheduled. My fingers are double and tripled crossed for this.
I layed Avery down for a nap and decided to start to clean the house. I plugged my I Phone in to charge as I was doing this. Well, since the concert was cancelled I was trying to call Nick's mom to let her know we did not need a babysitter. As I grabbed my phone, it slipped and fell right into the bucket of hot Pine Sol water. I plucked it out very quickly, dried it with a rag and put it in a bowl of rice. Nothing. It was dead!
I went in the basement to use our house phone, and it was not working. (May not seem like much, but the phone is connected to the alarm. No phone=no alarm=no bueno!) Ugh!
Nick was not going to make the trek down to SLC since our concert was cancelled, but decided by this point, I needed him home. Badly! We were only able to communicate through email Something not so convenient, considering you have to sit by the computer all day!
Nick had actually sent me a surprise right after the news of the concert being cancelled, flowers and chocolate. He couldn't have predicted a better time for the delivery. It came after all the incidents of the day had occurred. Thank you Nick!
Nick, thank you for being my saving grace last night. I about lost it completely. Without you, I wouldn't have made it through the day. Thank you for fighting two hours of traffic after a long day of work, dealing with getting me a new phone, sending me flowers and chocolate (which I almost completely ate!!) and just holding me saying I was doing a good job. I felt like a failure yesterday. You made me feel better. I don't know where I would be with out you. I love you so much!!
I am sorry this is such a long post, and I probably shouldn't have shared all the details. (DCFS, I swear I am doing my best and am a good mom!), but I figured this may happen to someone else out there. Please use your breaks on you strollers! Something so simple is over looked so often!

I love you Avery! You and your daddy are the most important things in life to me!
5 comments:
I'm so glad she's okay! And Nick is so sweet. You have a wonderful little family. I hope you have a much better day today.
Oh my gosh! I would have done the same thing you did...once my heart started thumping again. I am so sorry you had to experience that...so scary. You are a very good mom, don't ever doubt that!
Looking forward to seeing you soon!!
Oh no! I'm sorry that happened and I'm in dumb Logan unable to be there for you :( Its no fun without you guys here, so hurry and get married so you can settle here for the chilly Logan winter! Love you. Hope you're doing better.
ps. Why didn't you tell me??
Oh Brit! You poor thing. THat is a terribly horrible day. I could only imagine. Eden fell out of our bed when she was 3 months old. Scared the bajeebers out of me. I didn't know about the pupil thing. We ended up rushing her to the ER at 3 in the morning and she was fine. I still have days when I feel like the worst mom in the world...and my kid hadn't even been hurt. I'm glad you have such a great guy to give you support. You are doing a great job! I hope I get to meet this little angelface next time I'm in Utah! She and Tex would have fun rolling around together.
I am so sorry Britt, I have been MIA with a sick child and haven't been keeping up on the blogs. I can't imagine what that must have felt like. If it makes you feel any better Eman has rolled off the recliner and couch in the same day due to his very responsible mother. It's not our fault we are just learning how to be parents. Hang in there your a great mommy and Avery knows it!
love you!
Sarah
Post a Comment