Friday, March 16, 2012

Skiing

Last year, I fell back in love with skiing!

We enjoyed it so much, we bought ourselves a 30 day family ski package....without really thinking! How were we going to fit in 15 days of skiing each during the short ski season? So far, we have both fit in 6 days. With having a toddler, it is hard AND expensive to find child care. We have taken Avery skiing with us 4 times. 3 at Snowbird and 1 at Solitude.

This child has no fear! Within 10 minutes of strapping her ski's on, she was ready to go faster! We taught her on Snowbird's "Magic Carpet", which is a built in conveyor belt, and she was bored within 15 minutes. She wanted to go on the actual ski lift and ski fast down the mountain.

We also let her have a half day of ski instructions through Snowbird's Mountain School. She LOVED it! It was four hours of skiing with an instructor with time alotted for snack and indoor play. If we could afford to do this every weekend, we would!

When we found out I was pregnant, I was worried about falling while skiing. I definitely ski more like a beginner now and take it slow. A couple of weekends ago, the clouds were really low and the weather conditions were windy, snowy and foggy. When there is a low light on the snow, it makes it hard to see bumps on the hill. Or drop offs for that matter. Nick learned this first hand. We were on the Mineral Basin side of Snowbird and you could not really see anything in front of you. Nick accidentally went off an cliff and went ten feet in the air. It was pretty scary! That same trip, Nick took me on an "EXPERT ONLY" run. I told him I was nervous and he said I could handle it. Well, let's just say I could not see my hand in front of me, I slid on my butt most of the way and EVERY swear word in the book was thrown at my husband. I think he learned his lesson. I had to take a 90 minute break after that because my blood pressure was through the roof. I told Nick my inner Queen B came out. He said "Oh no, you WERE the KILLER B!" Ha!

It's been a fun and short season. Now that I am having a hard time zipping up my snowpants, it might be time for me to hang up my pass this year. Tear face! The good news is, Snowbird will reimburse us in credit for rooms and food during the off season. So it wasn't a total bust. We may be spending a few weekends up in the mountains before this baby makes it's appearance!
















Amy & Elle






Besties!



No comments: