Friday, April 10, 2009

Avery's Two Week Appointment

Holy Cow! Our baby girl is already two weeks old? How did that happen?

We went to the doctor today for her two week appointment. Ave has been suffering from a cold ALL week, so I was anxious to get to the doctor. He gave us some tips on how to help her.


Nursing has been a challenge this week because poor Avers cannot breathe while nursing. So we have switched from nursing to a bottle every other time she eats. (It gives me a little break too!) She inhales her milk so fast that she throws up at least once a day. And when I say she throws up, I mean she projectile vomits. She soaked her new outfit, burp cloth and baby blanket all in one sitting today! :( It scares her when she does it, so I have to try soothe her and comfort her while suctioning out her little mouth. They suggested that I only feed her for seven minutes on each side since I am producing so much milk. She is getting WAY too much. My mom gave me a new nickname: Bessie. Thanks Mom!

The doctor said Avery looks great. We had to do another biliruben test today. She is still a little yellow and her bili level was at 13.2. They said it may be another couple of weeks until the jaundice is completely gone.

Aver's weight is now at her birth weight of 8.1 lbs putting her at a 68 percentile and her length was the same at 20.5 inches. Putting her at a 70 percentile. Her little cranium measured at a 50 percentile. The doc said she was an average little baby. We quickly corrected him and said she was above average, she was perfect!


Dr. Bell said that RSV is still going around. And since Avery has a cold, we have to take extra precautions. He said no big groups or being around children for atleast two more weeks.


Nick also surprised me with a trip to the salon tomorrow. I am in dire need of a haircut and color. He said I deserve it because I do not get more than two hours of sleep a night due to Avery being so sick. Thank you sweetheart!!


Monte also pulled a muscle in his leg today. He is not putting any weight on it. We are going to keep an eye on it tonight. If it does not get better by tomorrow, we are headed to the vet.


On another note, my best friend Emily has influenza. And since she is preggers, she cannot take any medicine to help her get better. Her 12 year old doggie, Sadie, is also really sick. She is going through a a really tough time right now, so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We love you Emily!!!


And last but not least, here are some pictures of Avery. We took these the other night while she was napping. She makes some of the funniest faces while sleeping. We secretly wish we knew what exactly she was dreaming about!!


She is always pressing her lips together. 

I love her little pinkie finger!


Oh so tired!

I don't know why, but this is my ALL time favorite picture so far. She looks so innocent and funny. I laugh out loud every time I look at this one!!

6 comments:

Matti said...

Britt!! Congrats! I didn't know you had her...let alone that she is 2 weeks already! Where have I been? Wow time has flown since I last looked at your blog. She is ADORABLE...I am sure you know this already. But she truely is CUTE! I love all the faces she makes, and I am glad you are enjoying being a mommy. It is the pits when they are sick. Texton got his first cold at 1 week, but not as bad as Avery. But, Eden would get really bad ones as a baby, and couldn't nurse and had to go through the whole short feedings and throwing up. It'll be over soon though. Hope you like your new haircut!

Emily said...

Pictures of Avery are beautiful of course. I love see her cute expressions. Thanks also for your kind words. It means a lot to me to know that you care so much! I love you dear!

DeeDee's Diary said...

Thanks for posting pic's of little Avery. The last pic. is all too cute!
Your dad has been working out of town most of this week, but I share your blog with him and he enjoys the updates, as do I.
She is beautiful! Give her hugs and kisses! We love you. DeeDee and Dad

Aubrey said...

Up all through the night? I hear ya! I never realized what a sacrifice being a mommy is and now that I know I can't believe my mom did this 5 times... I'm glad Avery's eating well and growing and getting better from her cold and jaundice. Best wishes! Let's get the cousins together soon. :)

Erika + Sean said...

Britt, she is just too cute - I love those pictures! I hope everyone is feeling 100% soon! :)

smargaret2003 said...

Britt,
Oh poor Avery baby with her cold. Hang in there. When E had his cold I just keep sucking out his nose and I used the little noses solution to help me thin his mucus out. I kept the humidifier going 24/7 and made everyone wash their hands before they held him. Other than that there isn't much you can do to help the poor babies out. She needs to get better so we can see you guys next week! We are so excited to see you guys, even with a cold she looks beautiful. Enjoy the salon you deserve it!
Love you!
Sarah