This past Thursday I came home as usual on my lunch break. We had been leaving the kids out of their kennel while we were at work. We just felt so bad having them caged all day. Sunday through Wednesday, they did awesome. Complete bliss! (Well, except for some nice sheetrock work they did. Thank Goodness for Lowe's!) But this very day, it all came crashing down. I came home to find a baseboard completely chewed and wood chips and shards all over. I was on the phone with Nick complaining how I couldn't put up with it any longer. Monte started to dry heave, so I told Nick I had to get Monte outside.
I took him out, all the while screaming how naughty he was. He threw up liquid, then was dry heaving again. He couldn't get anything out and became weak. I started to pat his back and then he completely collapsed onto his side. No movement.
I carried him inside crying and screaming for him to breathe. His tongue was now dark purple, almost black. His eyes had rolled up and were locked looking straight into my eyes. I laid him down and was patting his chest not knowing how to get him to breathe. By this time, no air was going in or out. I opened his locked jaw and was trying to clear out his throat to see if something was lodged in there. Nothing! So, I started CPR on him. I could hear little breaths trying to escape so I kept doing it. He finally acted like he was choking and was getting air. His tongue started getting color again.
I called Nick hysterical. He called the vet and I rushed over there. The entire staff at the animal hospital was ready and waiting. They immediately put him on oxygen and gave him a anti inflammatory steroid to help the swelling in his throat. They kept him for a few hours observing him to make sure this episode wouldn't happen again. I went home to check on Gracie. She stayed by the door, whining. I am sure she was scared and confused.
The veterinarian thinks the second time Monte was trying to vomit, something became lodged behind his soft pallet and restricted his airway completely. So, this coming Thursday, Monte is going in for surgery to remove his soft pallet. I am absolutely terrified about this surgery. Nick is scared also, but wants to improve the quality of life for our little man. (As do I.) Please keep Monte in your thoughts and prayers. It may sound silly, because he is a dog. But him and Gracie are our lives. This was one of the most terrifying experiences and I would never wish it upon anyone.
So, we are sorry if we always and sometimes only talk about our dogs. But they are simply more than that to us.
We love you Monte and Grace!
2 comments:
I completely understand how you feel. I am so sorry you and Monte had to go throught that. Good thing you guys are such good parents. Those dogs are treated so good and you guys are so good with them. Keep up the good work. Good luck with the surgery. I think about them all the time and will continue to for Mont's surgery! Love you all!!
Um, that picture on the top is quite possibly the cutest picture I have every seen!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment