Monday, April 6, 2009

Good Bye Fiji...Hello Mom and Dad!

Avery visiting "Fiji'


Little Avery had a case of jaundice pretty intensely. The day we were released from the hospital, a nurse came and delivered a "Bili" bed for Ave to sleep on. We liked to call it Fiji to make it sound a little more enjoyable. We were instructed to keep her in this straight jacket looking tanning booth at all times unless we needed to feed her or change her diapers.

Nick an I were a little sad because all we wanted to was snuggle our little love bug. The first day was hard. I was worried she was uncomfortable all the time. (Even though she really didn't seem to mind.) We went to the doctor EVERY day last week except for Friday. We had to keep getting her little feet poked at to check her bili levels. On Monday it was 15.4 and by Thursday it had jumped to 17.8. The pediatrician told us we HAD to keep her under the lights at all times! No excuses. :( We sadly sent her back to Fiji to work on her tan a little more. We did good though, and actually followed the doctors orders.

On Friday, the doctor called and said we could interact with her a little more, but still needed to keep her there. By Saturday morning, her color looked well. She was released from Fiji and finally reunited with her mommy and daddy.

Her weight had plummeted pretty fast as well. When she was born she weighed 8.1 lbs. By Wednesday, she was down to under 7.5 lbs. But, by Saturday we had gotten her weight up to 7.11 lbs. Yay!
I also had to go see a lactation specialist. The lady I went to went to Stanford and really knew her stuff. She taught me the proper way to have Ave latch on. We are still learning, but I am not crying every time I think of nursing. When I was released from the hospital, I was already bleeding, blistered and bruised. No joke. It was the most painful feeling ever. I still have to pump because I produce so much. I literally can pump 8 ounces in one sitting. Holy Cow...I am a cow!

Funny story.... I chose a pediatrician by chance and a referral from my OB. When we met him at the hospital, Nick knew the guy. They had grown up together playing baseball. So, I know I can trust this doctor with my daughters life. He even told the lactation specialist to take really good care of us.

So all in all, Ave is looking great. We are still working on our night schedule. I was up from 1 AM to 5:30 AM. My poor baby girl seems to have a cold today. I keep checking her temperature, but she is only registering at 99 degrees. So, if I am a little hard to get a hold of, no worries. I am going full steam ahead trying to nurse Avers back to her healthy self and trying to catch up on my sleep whenever I can.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. Thank you for the dinners, words of support and endless love you have shown our little family. We are so grateful!

Farewell Fiji, hello Mommy and Daddy!

5 comments:

Emily said...

I am so glad there is no more jaundice! I hope that she gets rid of her cold asap and hopefully you can get some sleep (yea right)! She is absolutely beautiful, just like her parents!! Let me know if you need anything!

DeeDee's Diary said...

This is an adorable picture of her. It reminds me of your dad. He sleeps just like Avery with one arm above his head and the other to his side. Her feet are a bit cuter! I'm so glad your hanging in there with the nursing. I feel your pain and felt the pain of bleeding and literally in tears it hurt so much. I hung in there, and all I can say is it gets better and then you start enjoying it and it's the most beautiful bonding a mother - daughter (or son) can experience together. I'm a pro (nursed all five) If I can ever answer any questions just give me a call. Love you guys. DeeDee and Dad.

smargaret2003 said...

Britt, I am happy to hear that little Avery is out of Fiji and back with you. Poor babes and poor you guys! Good news is Avery is going to have amazing looking skin with her hot tan! You go girl on the milk production! I could only get 3oz max you are sporting 8 that is awsome! Keep it up! Trust me eventually the nips will heal and feel better I PROMISE! I love you hang in there. I can't wait to see you girls in a couple weeks!

Love you!
Sarah

Aubrey said...

Oh Fiji. Kennedy spent some time there too. I was so glad when her vacation was over. :) Nursing really is a sacrifice. It takes more time, patience, and your body definitely has to adjust. It really does get better with time. I'm glad someone came to help you out. We would like to come see you guys on an upcoming weekend. We'll give you a call. We want to meet Avery!

Matti said...

How sad when all you want to do is hold them, and you can't. I am glad she is doing better. I love that you called her bed Fiji. You are so funny!