Avery started preschool again at CCNS. This year she goes 3 times a week for 2-1/2 hours each time. I am on "maternity leave" and have only co-oped once this year, but will have a crazy co-op schedule come January!
It's amazing to see how much they have changed and developed in one short year. In circe time last year, they would read books and sing songs using shakers, bells, etc. This year during circle time, they learn things like bases, acids and gasses, solids and liquids, and what colors you get when mixing other colors. When I co-oped, we did the volcanoe experiment where you put baking soda in the volcanoe, drop in food coloring and pour in vinegar. The kids love it and learn amazing lessons.
Every Thursday, they go on a field trip. During the late summer and early fall they go on a lot of hikes. Once the weather turns, they head to museums, the capitol, the library, etc. Each week the children learn a new theme and concentrate on a new letter. When I co-oped, we learned about the letter "C" and welcomed the theme of "Colors." For snack, we had carrots, cucumbers (not a favorite of the kids), cheese and crackers. I was the drink parent and brought cran-raspberry juice. (Watered down, of course.) The kids painted with water colors and had a goal of covering the entire white sheet of paper with the colors of the rainbow. It was a lot of fun!
Last year I was able to pick out what Avery wore and could do her hair how I wanted. This year, she will let me know what she wants to wear and is very adament on the style of her hair!
She has a best friend, Sunshine, and they act like teenagers already. When the play, they fight like 16 year olds. Example: "You are my Best Friend." Ten minutes later: "You can't come to my birthday party, I am mad at you!" They also have started playing "Mother/Daughter." One of them is the mom that day and the other is the daughter. It is pretty funny! I am trying to teach Avery that it is ok to have more than one friend. There are two more girls in the class who beg to play with them, and they say no. :( It's a work in progress!!
I am sure I will post a whole lot more about school throughout the year. For now, here are pictures from Avery's first day of school. Her hair looks like it's slicked back, but it's wet. She insists on showering before school and we were running late. (Sigh! A sign that I have more than one child.)
Avery now gets homework. On this night she had to guess what the biggest land mammal was and spell it out. She then had to bring it to school the next day. Her teacher wore Elephant earrings to show the correct answer!
She loved having her daddy help her. He took her to school that day and she couldn't have had a bigger smile!
And we have now hit the "stick your tongue out at everyone" phase. It was cute, but we are now working on not doing it. She loses a quarter from her piggy bank each time she does it. She can earn it back if she catches herself and winks instead.
1 comment:
Trading sticking your tongue out with winking is smart! And a lot cuter. I'm glad that Avery likes school, and you can have alittle one on one time with Liam. You're seeing more and more that schools are having parents come and help/co-op, which is great for the kids! It is also good that they can be around other adults, that way they aren't afraid of strangers {to a point}. I'm not making sense, but Ave looks cute!
Post a Comment